- Affiliation of international Iabour organisation, etc.
- Short title.
TRADE UNIONS (INTERNATIONAL AFFILIATION) ACT
An Act to specify the international trade unions with which the Central Labour Organisation
or any trade union may affiliate and provide penalties for contravention of its provisions.
[1996 No. 29.]
[23rd October, 1996]
- Affiliation of international labour organisation, etc.
(1) As from the commencement of this Act, any trade union or the Central Labour
Organisation may affiliate with any international labour organisation or trade secretariat
in accordance with the provisions of this Act.
(2) An application by a trade union or the Central Labour Organisation for affiliation
under this Act shall be submitted with the details of such affiliation to the Minister for his
approval who shall be required to furnish the trade union or the Central Labour Organi-
sation with his decision within a period of thirty days of documented evidence of receipt
of such application.
(3) Where a trade union or the Central Labour Organisation does not receive the decision
of the Minister within the period specified in subsection (2) of this section and
within seven days immediately thereafter, it shall be deemed that an approval has been so
(4) Where the Minister, for whatever reason, refuses, objects or withholds his approval of the
affiliation of a trade union or the Central Labour Organisation he shall cause
the reason for such refusal, objection or his disapproval to be communicated to the trade
union or the Central Labour Organisation within the period specified in subsection (2) of
(5) A trade union or the Central Labour Organisation whose application for affiliation
has been refused, objected to or withheld, shall in the first instance make further representation
to the Minister and on any further refusal, have a right of appeal to the National
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
"Minister" means the Minister charged with the responsibility for trade unions mat-
- Short title
In this Act may be cited as the Trade Unions (International Affiliation) Act.
No Subsidiary Legislation